Harvey Scholarship Program
The Harvey Scholars Program was established in 2009 with a gift from the Hugh and Michelle Harvey Family Foundation. Hugh E. Harvey, Jr., is an alumnus of the Colorado School of Mines with a Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering and a Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering.
Competitive candidates for the Harvey Scholarship demonstrate a passion for community engagement, service, and ‘paying it forward’. Competitive candidates will also describe how they have faced and overcome adversity and how they plan to incorporate service into their future goals. Current Harvey Scholars have a wide variety of academic interests, yet all share a record of academic excellence. To apply first complete the General Scholarship Application.
The Harvey Scholarship program is more than a financial award. If selected, Harvey Scholars will be welcomed into a close-knit, student-led community. Harvey Scholars are expected to actively participate in the Harvey community through monthly luncheons, service commitments and extracurricular learning experiences. Harvey Scholars prioritize community service, and scholars are expected to ‘pay it forward’ through various service opportunities throughout the year. Harvey Scholars model ‘servant leadership’ during their time at Mines. They are responsible stewards of both the Harvey Program and other service endeavors on campus.
- Scholarship: Full tuition and mandatory fees, renewable over eight semesters, at Colorado School of Mines
- Travel Grant: Up to $4,000 Funding for an international travel experience such as study abroad
- Enrichment Grant: Up to $3,000 Funding for academic or professional development opportunities
Programmatic & Personal Development
- Leadership: Peer-elected Scholar board is integral to the program’s continued success
- Community: Tight-knit group of Scholars support each other academically and socially
- Campus Involvement: Numerous ways to engage with campus through the program
- Scholar Selection: Current Scholars select incoming cohorts
- Service: Scholars are expected and encouraged to continue pursuing their passion for service
Learn More About the Harvey Scholars Program
- In establishing the Harvey Scholars Program, the Harvey family is “paying it forward”. That is, they are paving the way for recipients to pursue their education. In the spirit of paying it forward, the Harvey scholar body emphasizes service and scholar participation in the hopes that scholars develop the skills, experiences, and relationships needed to benefit their communities. For more information about the Harvey Scholar experience, please watch the 10 year anniversary video and visit the "website:https://harveyscholars.mines.edu/. Please address the following questions and DO NOT include any personal identifying information (your last name, social media, identifiable business name, etc.).
1. In what ways has adversity touched your life and inspired your personal growth? How do you embody “paying it forward” and intend to pay it forward in the future? 1500 words
2. Write a message of gratitude to someone or something in your life. 150-250 words
Colorado School of Mines Scholarship Disclaimer
We encourage students to apply for all available scholarships for which they are eligible. However, students may be restricted from participating in multiple scholarship cohorts. If a student is selected for more than one scholarship, the student may be required to select their top choice. Once scholarship offers are made, guidance will be provided to the student and family to assist with this choice, if applicable.